My Twitter account, @XenaBb7, is protected and has been since it was opened in August 2013. About 95 percent of my Twitter time is to announce when I publish new blog posts and to tweet out links to other blogs whose posts might be of interest to my Twitter followers. The other 5 percent of my Twitter time is general chat. I do not debate on Twitter and spend an average of about 20 minutes a day, in 5 minute increments, on Twitter.
First and foremost, I am a blogger. I’m not trying to be snooty, and there are no great secrets that I post on Twitter to “hide”. After a year of being harassed and threatened through comments submitted to my blog that no one knew about unless I publicly made it known, and that I did not respond to, I was not going to open an account on Twitter giving the same perpetrators opportunity to try to bait nor engage me on Twitter.
Recently, I’ve received requests for approval to follow me on Twitter from handles that I only recognize either because Lirette mentioned them in the history of his experience that he submitted to this blog, or because I saw them in his tweets. They do not follow my blogs so I must presume that their only reason to follow me on Twitter has something to do with the harassment. That presumption includes that because they have not posted to this blog, that they must want to engage me in direct messages.
Hopefully, those who I do not approve to follow me on Twitter will understand why. I will not get involved in trying to discuss harassment on Twitter in 140 characters or less. What I have to say about it, I write it here on this blog. If I can’t or won’t share it here publicly, then I won’t share it privately through direct message on Twitter.
On this blog, all comments go to moderation so if anyone wants to share something in confidence, they merely have to say so at the beginning of the comment. If their focus is on Lirette, then the Frankly My Dear blog is where you should communicate.
Thanks for your understanding.